Tuesday, December 7, 2010

snow as mother of pearl





A few days ago we had a wet snow that froze overnight. When I was looking at it the next morning I realized the number of hues that can be incorporated in something that is basically white. There were blues, yellows, any number of shades of "white". I realized there was a resemblance to mother of pearl, even though I really don't know much about mother of pearl. Colors within colors; colors within no color. I noticed that many forms of water exhibit the same phenomenon; clouds, icicles, clear winter creeks. I have seen this expressed in art come to think of it. Received a Christmas card entitled "Winter Dream" by Susan Komagai Fink. It shows an icy winter stream colored in aqua, red, yellow, purple; all the colors of the rainbow.


No comments:

Post a Comment