Thursday, October 9, 2014

from the south

Yesterday was a beautiful day. I was driving Route 7 in the morning, and noticed the wind was blowing from the south. I remembered the canoe trip on the Allagash river, and how for those five days the wind direction was such an important part of my life. We were heading north most of the time so if the wind was from the north, it made for vigorous paddling. If the wind was from the south, it meant an easy day of paddling was in store.
The other day I returned the canoeing gear to my friend, Mitra. I couldn't help but look with tenderness upon the gloves which, again, had been such an important & integral part of that time of my life. I realize that the trip was important and meaningful to me. Exactly how and why is still not clear. I think about it frequently.
Happy Anniversary to John & Ellen

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of a poem by William Carlos Williams, which everybody knows, that starts, So much depends upon The red wheelbarrow...

    Thanks for the Anniversary shout out. I am doubly lucky since this is also the time of the year that hockey season starts, and that I have a wife who allows me to watch a little of the opening night games, even though it is our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete