Wednesday, January 21, 2015

everywhere at home

I received a trail camera for my birthday. On Saturday John helped me put it up back in the woods. I hear there are bobcats back there, and I'd love to get photographic evidence of that. A friend at work gave me a feathered lure that he said would attract them. Yesterday morning about 5:45 I headed up the hill to put it up. It was still dark, Jupiter leading the constellation Leo westward through the morning sky, ice crunching underfoot. I got lost in the woods, but eventually made it to the camera, and put up the lure. I stopped for a moment to see if I could hear anything. Nothing. The silence was deafening, just like it was at times on the Allagash. There's the feeling of being smothered, covered by a wooly blanket of silence. The sun was coming up over the Green Mountains as I headed back down the hill towards home.
Rise free from care before the dawn, and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and night overtake thee, everywhere at home.
Walden
Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment