Thursday, June 4, 2015

Indian Paintbrush

Growing up in California, I was always intrigued by my surroundings when visiting relatives in Ohio in the summer. It was so green. I loved the fireflies and the thunderstorms which we didn't have in the Bay Area. After college, Allyn & I worked for a winter as ski bums in the Mount Snow area of southern Vermont. After the ski season was over, we continued to rent our small cabin in the woods, and stayed for the summer. The natural world in Vermont was a revelation. I had never seen so many wildflowers in my life. My favorite was a small, ordinary, prolific flower called orange hawkweed. Something about it was very compelling, maybe it was its other name, Indian Paintbrush. There were a lot of reasons that we returned to Vermont some 35 years ago, but seeing the Indian Paintbrush again was certainly among them for me. They are now once again in bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment