Tuesday, December 1, 2015

commute

So since I retired, many of the daily rhythms of my life have changed. The obvious ones are that I don't get up in the morning, and go to work, and return home in the evening. This certainly affects the observations I'm able to make in relation to this blog.
Yesterday I was in town working on a project. I got done about 4:30 in the afternoon. I looked up as I was leaving and noticed a large flock of crows heading east, at least fifty of them. I used to observe this phenomenon at this time of year when I was working. As sunrise and sunset began to coincide with my arrival and departure at work, I would see these large flocks heading out in the morning, and returning in the evening. It appeared to be their daily commute. It reminded me of the seven dwarfs, and their travels to and from the mines and their cottage in the forest.
Crows are sociable and raucous creatures. Yesterday they flew high in the sky and silently. That is how I remember it from year's past. It seems that there is a drama or scenario that is playing itself out in front of me of which I am only able to discern the tip of the iceberg. There is something very mysterious and compelling about this sort of an observation for me.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, and the other is as though everything is a miracle.
Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment