Monday, July 18, 2016

good bye

Erin, Andy and the kids headed off for Brasilia yesterday. Erin and Eliza have lived here since April. Cartoons was born here in June. Andy came back in July. It has been a loud and lively time here, a lot of people in a small house. I expected to be sad when they left, but I was mostly feeling gratitude and happiness, for all of us. There was a tinge of wistfulness to be sure. I felt exactly the same way when John, Ellen, and Owen left, mostly happiness and gratitude.
I loved my own grandparents, but they never lived with us. They never even took care of us in any meaningful way that I can remember. Not every grandparent gets to have the kind of intimate working relationship that we have been so fortunate to experience; walking Owen around Wallingford in his stroller, trying to get him to sleep. Taking Eliza to Wonderfeet, and then hauling her back home for her nap when she doesn't want to leave. Holding Clark at four in the morning to let Erin get some rest. It is always nice to feel you are needed.
These kinds of arrangements aren't always easy, but they are very fulfilling. There is the feeling that a foundation has been laid upon which something meaningful can be built. I am grateful for wonderful children and grandchildren. I am grateful for Ellen and Andy for letting us in. I'm a lucky guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment