Friday, June 2, 2017

neighbor


The other day I was looking out the kitchen window which on many occasions has been my portal into the natural world. I noticed a tree in the back that was much whiter than the others. I didn't know what it was and pulled out the binoculars to take a look. It was a wild cherry tree in full bloom, a big one. We've lived here for over 35 years and as far as I can remember I've never noticed it before. Blossoms hanging down, like an ivory chandelier.


I consider myself an observer of the natural world. Either I had never noticed this beautiful tree before, or I had seen it, and forgotten about it. Neither a good thing. I went out to get a closer look, and take a few photos. Heraclitus said that nature loves to hide and that's true. Once the blinders come off, however, that which had previously been invisible now seems to be everywhere. I saw three other large wild cherry trees in full bloom nearby in the forest in the back.


Our surroundings, whether it's in our back yard, or in the night sky,  can seem like a part of our neighborhood. Seeing the previously unseen can provide an uplifting, orienting effect. Like being introduced to a friendly neighbor whom you've never met. Good to meet you.

Let your eyes remain empty of interpretation.
Mooji
Zen page-a-day calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment