Wednesday, August 9, 2017

trucks


Trucks can be a big part of life here on the other side of the creek. A friend of a friend once said, "Why buy a car when you can have a truck?" Hauling wood, clearing brush, going to the dump; having a truck makes many activities a lot easier.
I've had a truck for years, but it was kind of a beater. It finally got to the point where it wouldn't pass inspection any more so I had to get another. The "new" truck is almost 10 years old, but it's in pretty good shape. I call my new truck Silver, as in "high ho Silver" (Google it, Shawn).
I have seemingly become much more "popular" since I got this truck. Almost every time I go up to the Zen Center, Weezie asks me if I am bringing Silver to assist with any number of chores. Another friend asked my if I would help him get rid of some appliances. Believe it or not, some of my grandchildren know me as "Papa truck."
If you're up in the Zen Center parking lot on the night of a sitting, the parking lot is full of Priuses. Silver, however, is the only truck in the lot. I was in a fairly large parking lot in Shelburne the other day, and Silver was the only truck in the entire lot of almost 100 vehicles. I was shocked. That is one of many differences between Rutland and Shelburne/Burlington.
There's a story that after Hurricane Irene, Governor Shumlin of Vermont was talking with Governor Christie of New Jersey. Governor Shumlin asked Governor Christie how the cleanup was going. Christie replied, "It's slow going, how about for you?"
Governor Shumlin answered, "It's going very well. Seems like half the population here owns a truck and a chainsaw."


No comments:

Post a Comment