Thursday, November 30, 2017

November

trailing arbutus
Arthur Haines Go Botany

As I said, November is the month of the axe, and, as in other love affairs, there is skill in the exercise of bias...
I find it disconcerting to analyze, ex post facto, the reasons behind my own axe-in-hand decisions. I find, first of all, that not all trees are created free and equal. Where a white pine and a red birch are crowding each other, I have a priori bias; I always cut the birch to favor the pine. Why?
...So I try again and here perhaps is something, under this pine will ultimately grow a trailing arbutus, an Indian pipe, a pyrola, or a twin flower, whereas under the birch a bottle gentian is about the best to be hoped for. In this pine a pileated woodpecker will ultimately chisel out a nest; in the birch a hairy will have to suffice. In this pine the wind will sing for me in April, at which time the birch is only rattling naked twigs. These possible reasons for my bias carry weight, but why? Does the pine stimulate my imagination and my hopes more deeply than the birch does? If so, is the difference in the trees, or in me?
November
A Sand County Almanac
Aldo Leopold

No comments:

Post a Comment