Monday, February 26, 2018

sugaring


Saturday I went up into the woods to check on my trail camera. Tubing for sugaring ran all over the property on the top of the hill. On the way back, I came across some tubing that actually showed the movement of the maple sap down the tube.


It slowly snaked down the tube in a stop/start, stop/start fashion. It reminded me of the movement of an inchworm. I don't know if it always moves like that.

Saturday night I went down to the sugarhouse of Nathan Hewitt who is the fellow who taps the trees on our land.


He was in there boiling with two of his children and two other kids from across the road.

Going into an active sugarhouse is truly a feast for the senses. Usually the weather outside is cold, dark, damp, and gloomy. Inside it's warm and light. The first thing that hits you is the smell of the steam from the evaporator. It is indescribable. Nathan gave me a taste of from freshly made syrup; hot and heavenly. You can't beat it. Sugaring is a family affair in his household. He said that he really didn't have much to do during the boiling process anymore, his kids have taken over.


Maple syrup is a miracle really. How could something so wonderful come from old and gnarly maple trees during the gloomiest time of the year? This is something that really deserves a spot on everyone's bucket list.  

As I was leaving the sugarhouse the other night, I turned around to look for possible photo opportunities. Sparks were shooting out of the vents at the top, like bright stars on a dark night. Vermont is still the epicenter of the maple syrup industry. Throughout the world, when people think of maple syrup they think of Vermont. There are at least a half dozen small, family-sized sugarhouses within walking distance of my house. I count myself fortunate, indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment