Friday, June 5, 2020

Don't Get Around Much Anymore

We've been sticking pretty close to home since we got back from Brazil on March 11th. It's really not hard to do if you're retired and live in a place like Ira, Vermont. Every two weeks one of us goes to the supermarket at 6 in the morning to take advantage of senior hour. That means I go shopping in an actual store about once a month. We complement these orders with curbside pickups from the Rutland Co-op, and Kamuda's Market as needed. Don't get around much anymore.

I try to get up to the Zen Center and work in the gardens there once a week. I was there yesterday. As I headed north I noticed that the black locust trees were in bloom in some places. I was glad to see them. They are my favorite of all the trees that actually blossom this time of year.






I also drove by Wood's Market in Brandon. It's a wonderful place that I've visited for years. They have great local produce, plants, cheeses and pastry.





They have been closed for the most part in recent weeks, offering plants only via curbside pickup. I honestly haven't thought too much about it. As I was driving by, I realized with a start that it was June which is usually the start of the local strawberry season here in Vermont. And Wood's Market, which has the best strawberries in the state in my opinion was closed. In the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world, but it's a loss of one of the most delicious moments of the year; the first bite into a fresh locally grown, Vermont strawberry.





Don't Get Around Much Anymore
Duke Ellington

No comments:

Post a Comment