Thursday, December 3, 2020

warm to cold

 The change of seasons is not subtle in Vermont. That's what makes it possible to write a blog like this. Most of the changes noted refer to the natural world, but the changing seasons are also reflected in the human world and its activities. When you stop to think about them, there are quite a few, some stark, some subtle.

As the days and weeks change from warm to cold, the winter clothes come down from the attic, and the summer clothes head up. As the patio furniture heads to the attic, the wood rack comes down as the comforting warmth of the wood stove becomes central to our lives.

Cotton sheets on the bed give way to flannel sheets. Winter tires go on, summer tires come off. In my car the ice scraper comes out of the back seat and finds a more accessible spot in the front. In the summer, one parks in the shade, in the winter in the sun, facing south. When I first moved here, I learned to park my car such that I could get at the battery with jumper cables during the winter. In the summer, I park it any old way.


No comments:

Post a Comment