Wednesday, February 3, 2021

fortunate

 

Last week I mentioned that I had caught some mice in Havahart traps and was moving them out of the house. I got an email from a friend asking to discuss this activity. I called him and he explained a little bit about the life of mice. He said that they had a territory that could be measured in feet, and if they are transported out of that area, they are lost. He likened it to moving someone out of their home in Vermont, transporting them to the middle of the Arctic, and leaving them there without food and shelter. To make a long story short, I said I realized that moving them was a long shot, but at least I was giving them a chance. He said that realistically they have no chance at survival and that what I considered to be a kind behavior was actually a cruel one. I have not used the Havahart traps since I spoke with him.

I have been a member of the Vermont Zen Center for many years. It's about an hour and a half away, and I have car pooled with a small group of people for many years. Over time, my relationship with those people has increased in value. I feel that I can bring up anything to this group of people, and they will give me an honest, yet compassionate reply. I value my friendship with these people very, very much.

I feel the same way about the friend mentioned above. This kind of a relationship is like a refuge, a place where you get what you need to hear rather than what you want to hear. I feel so fortunate to have people like this in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment