Friday, January 14, 2011

snowflakes


Cloudy. Very light snowfall. Individual flakes spinning slowly out of the sky.

January 16, 2008
Yesterday when I was walking over to production, I was watching the snowflakes. I saw something I had never noticed before. The individual flakes that had not clumped with others were spinning like a propeller as they floated down. I didn't know that some snowflakes spin. I pointed it out to Debby from scheduling as she walked by. We both started pointing at the spinning snowflakes. We must have looked like a couple of "flakes" ourselves.

Under the microscope, I found that snowflakes were miracles of beauty; and it seemed a shame that this beauty should not be seen and appreciated by others. Every crystal was a masterpiece of design, and no design was ever repeated. When a snowflake melted, that design was lost forever. Just that much beauty was gone, without leaving any record behind.

Wilson "Snowflake" Bentley
Jericho, Vermont 1925

No comments:

Post a Comment