Wednesday, January 19, 2011

oak


thezygo from flickr

We just have a few logs left from the giant oak tree I cut & split over a year ago. What does it mean when you have an intimate and longstanding relationship with the fuel you are using to keep yourself warm on these cold January days?

October 16, 2009
Cloudy. Last Sunday I borrowed the neighbor's wood splitter to take care of the huge oak which fell over a year ago. It was all cut up, and ready to split. It rained all Friday night. Even with my four wheel drive truck, it was too slippery to get the splitter to the wood pile. I could either give up or roll the logs (easily 100 lbs. each) down to the splitter. Roll them I did. It was muddy, and with every log I rolled, the path got muddier. When I got to about the 15th log, it literally became a mud wrestling event. Got about 20 of the largest pieces down there and split. I then split some wood down by the house until about 6:00 P.M. Afterward, I was covered with mud. When I got back, Allyn took a look at me and said I shouldn't even bother washing my clothes. I should just throw them away. I think it's the hardest I've ever worked in my life. The only times I was ever that tired were after hikes with John; the hike up to the top of Mt. Equinox in the snow, and the 10 mile death march up Shrewsbury Peak a couple of years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment