Thursday, November 10, 2011

an old friend

from sermoa on flickr

Clear. Another beautiful day. Temps in the 60's. The days are getting shorter. The darkness is getting longer. The nearly full moon and Jupiter were rising in tandem over the Green Mountains when I left work last night. I have been thinking about Venus. I haven't seen the planet in months which is very unusual. It can usually be found as either the morning star or evening star, but it just hasn't been there. I actually called Pete the other night to find out what's going on. As I headed home down Cold River Road at dusk, there it was, very low in the sky over the Taconics. I just got a glimpse of it before it disappeared behind the mountains. I called Pete again. He said Venus had been low in the sky as a morning star in the east, and had been blocked from view by the mountains there. That made sense. Seeing it was like greeting the return of an old friend. The full moon, the "Beaver" moon is tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment