Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mars in Leo II

the planet Mars by Haseeb M on flickr

Driving home from the movie on Saturday night, I looked to the east, and saw something bright rising over the Green Mountains. I knew what it was right away. It was big and had a reddish tinge. It was the planet Mars. It was still in the constellation Leo as it had been when observed in the morning darkness back in November. Back then it just looked like another star, but now you can tell it's a planet.  The best description of Mars I ever read came from a young Vermont poet some years ago. Full moon, the "Snow" moon, is tonight.

ASTROLOGY
by John Kahle

I was not born a believer
in higher beings or mysticism
but tonight I am able to write
because five planets are aligned,
tunnels in the black bone
of the Earth's skull. Emerging
out of blue, Jupiter burns
with dignity. I see Mars
first hand, quivering with scarlet
in the spring air like a tulip.
I can point to Saturn as the Moon
passes, though it is hardly distinctive
from the wash of stars and galaxies,
reduced by distance and detail.
But the borrowed light of Venus
relaxes the light years. It beckons
me and asks steadily if I will be back.
I say I haven't seen Mercury yet,
nor the others vacationing in the south.




No comments:

Post a Comment