Tuesday, August 18, 2015

apples

Sweet corn is still for sales at stands throughout the area, but the minds of Vermonters are starting to turn towards apples. I had a long discussion about apples with a Zen priest over bagels on Sunday. There was an article in the Rutland Herald about the current apple crop on Monday. The rains of June have produced a bumper crop of industrial strength apples on steroids. I've never seen so many freakin' apples in my life. They shine in the trees like little green Christmas balls.
I remember back in May during apple blossom season when the morning temperature hovered around 30 degrees for a couple of days. I was worried that the apple crop would be lost. The deer need them to make it through the winter. My worries were unfounded. Allyn and I are talking about harvesting some and making apple sauce. 

1 comment: