Thursday, August 27, 2015

cause and effect

Yesterday I was heading into town to run some errands. On my way out, I saw this scene from the kitchen window, and decided it would make a nice photo for this blog. I took my camera out in the back, took the picture, and headed back inside. When I got back in the kitchen, I noticed that my shoes were completely soaked with morning dew. We are entering the season of dew, no question about that.
But then I got in the car for the trip into town. As I was pulling on to Route 133, I noticed the difficulty that east bound drivers were having with the morning sun. Sunrise is later in the day, and the angle of the sun is lower in the sky. By the time I got to West Rutland the blue sky had given way to dense fog. It had rained the day before which I'm sure contributed to the fog, but I think it's fair to say that the season of dew coincides with the season of fog which has to do with the transition from summer to fall.
I drove into town and saw children waiting for school buses for the first time since June. It seemed to me that you could look at these as a number of discrete occurrences, but it really seemed to be facets of the same general phenomenon, the days getting shorter and cooler. Cause and effect are one.

No comments:

Post a Comment