Monday, November 9, 2015

Monday morning

old image from flickr

Cold and clear this morning. Got up to refill the wood stove. Took a peek outside, and the waning crescent moon, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter were all lined up in the southwest. It's always nice to start the week with a little wonderment.

Astrology
by John Kahle

I was not born a believer
in higher beings or mysticism
but tonight I am able to write
because five planets are aligned,
tunnels in the black bone
of the Earth's skull. Emerging
out of blue, Jupiter burns
with dignity. I see Mars
first hand, quivering with scarlet
in the spring air like a tulip.
I can point to Saturn as the Moon
passes, though it is hardly distinctive
from the wash of stars and galaxies,
reduced by distance and detail.
But the borrowed light of Venus
relaxes the light years. It beckons
me and asks steadily if I will be back.
I say I haven't seen Mercury yet.
nor the others vacationing in the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment