Tuesday, November 3, 2015

third act

The oaks and the beech trees are still showing their leaves, but some other trees are just now starting to turn. The tamaracks are now showing their yellowish hue along with the willow trees. The tamaracks are the only pine tree as far as I know that sheds its needles in the fall.
It occurred to me recently that the black locust trees, with their beautiful white blossoms, are among the most prominent trees to be observed during the spring, but I had no recollection of their leaves turning in the fall. I've watched a few of them recently, and now I know why. Their leaves just seem to wilt and quickly fall off. They have the most unremarkable foliage change I've ever seen.
I've always thought the willows were the last trees to turn in autumn. It looks like the apple trees might be even later than the willows. Apple trees are another that I don't ever remember observing in the past. Their yellow leaves along with the remaining fruit makes for a pretty combination. The apples end up looking like shiny Christmas balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment