Wednesday, August 24, 2016

awe, reverence, and gratitude

Frank Tyrlik on Google Photos

Last night I headed south to Rutland after the sitting in Shelburne. I was hit right between the eyes by the three celestial objects blazing in the sky. I immediately knew that the brightest one was Mars, quivering like a tulip in the evening sky, as so eloquently expressed by my son John in a poem many years ago. Above Mars was the planet Saturn, and below was Antares, the heart of the scorpion in the constellation Scorpius. Incidentally, Antares comes from an ancient Greek word meaning "equal of Mars."
I watched them sink to the south and west all during the ride home. I arrived about 10:30. Allyn had thoughtfully left the outside lights on for me, but I turned them off, and went out to see what I could see. The trio were barely above the horizon now, but the constellation Sagittarius had assumed center stage along with the Milky Way. I could make out the Andromeda Galaxy far off in the northeast. The Milky Way was exceptionally bright. Sagittarius actually looked like it was the victim of light pollution from a shopping center or some such in the southwest except there's nothing out that way. The usual feelings bubbled up, awe, reverence, and gratitude.
I ran into Pete this afternoon, and told him about it. I guess he was out with his binoculars last night as well. Some of the local astronomers are getting together tonight at the Castletown University observatory. I plan to be there. The same trio dancing in the sky should be visible again tonight.

Goodnight stars.
Goodnight air.
Margaret Wise Brown
Zen page a day calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment