Friday, August 26, 2016

Vermont

Yesterday I had an occasion to visit Shrewsbury, Vermont. It is a beautiful area high in the mountains outside of Rutland. I stopped at Pierce's General Store there. It is the last of its kind in this area. I asked the woman behind the counter if they sold ice cream cones?
"Sometimes." She said. She brought me over to a small stand-alone freezer that contained pints of ice cream and some novelties. "We have ice cream and ice cream bars here. Knock yourself out." She said.
I pulled out an ice cream bar, and headed to the counter to pay. I told her I'd like an oatmeal raisin cookie as well. "Oh, I highly recommend our baked goods." She said. "We got in some gluten free muffins this morning. This gluten free product has really become a pain in the butt."
I told her I wanted to take a photo of the place, and I asked her to be part of it, to animate it. She obligingly walked behind the counter, and said, "Do you want me to look at you, or pretend I'm doing something?"

"Too late." I said. I've already taken it."
"You probably got me with my mouth open."
I wanted to say that there was a pretty good chance of that, but for once I kept my big mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment