Friday, May 15, 2020

living exclamation point

When I started this, whatever-it-is, some 14 years ago, I set up some arbitrary ground rules. One of them was that while I could mention the same phenomena from year to year, I wouldn't comment on them during the same season.  I wouldn't mention that I'd seen geese heading north two times during the spring of 2020 for example. I think I have always followed that rule until today.



I was moved by the photo of the early saxifrage that I posted yesterday. It took me awhile to figure out what it was that was so compelling. The photo seemed to project an assertiveness, a vivid "aliveness." It looked to me, almost literally, like a living explanation point. Here I am, look at me, I am alive, very alive! Many beings in the natural world embody this same quality, especially, it seems, this time of year. The fox in the back forest shouts out this message as she hunts for food for her young. The songbirds belt out this message as they seek to establish their territory. Listen to me, pay attention, I am here, I am alive!


As I was walking around outside this  morning, I looked around to see if there was anything in the natural world that wasn't projecting this same message, and I couldn't find anything like that. Dandelions, tulips, robins, everything seemed to be in some fashion singing this same tune. Their world is an uncertain one. They need to be paying attention, focused every second. Their lives depend on it.

I have to say that there are many moments during the day when I am not in tune with what is going on all around me. I'm going through the motions, daydreaming, unengaged. The saxifrage and all its friends have provided an important lesson to me. I hope I can do better.

The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
Henry Miller
Page-a-day calendar on gratitude

No comments:

Post a Comment