Monday, September 28, 2020

plot of ground

 The wildflower season is not over but it is certainly winding down. One of the surprising things I learned about wildflowers is how many species can grow in the same plot of ground.


This photo is from April and shows some crocuses shooting up, and I've included it here because it shows the ground under a mailbox of some neighbors who moved here recently. The lady of the house seems to be a gardener, and I have been amazed at how many types of flowers have appeared here under this mailbox post over the course of the summer, somewhere between four and six species. It's just amazing to me how many plants can be viable  in virtually the same area. I know I've used this analogy before, but it's kind of like a departure and arrival gate at an airport. The waiting area can be full of people one moment, empty the next, and then full of a different group of fliers shortly after that.

When you think about it, it makes sense that plants would operate this way. If all wildflowers bloomed at the same time, there simply wouldn't be room for all of them. Also, they all need to be pollinated, and it makes sense for both plants and pollinators that the growing season be spread out the way it is.

Some times I think I must have too much spare time on my hands to come up with stuff like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment