Monday, June 14, 2010

Dear Lord

Cloudy. This event is not the usual narrative, but worthy of mention nonetheless. On Saturday night we went to a benefit concert given by Mill River alum, and Shrewsbury native Jonathan Lorentz. He is a jazz saxaphonist, and was there with his combo. He played a John Coltrane composition, Dear Lord. He said that it was a spiritual, a Coltrane spritual, but a spiritual nevertheless. It was a tune he had composed near the end of his life.
As Lorentz started to play, I began to feel like I was being filled up, like a balloon being inflated with helium. As he continued to play, I felt lighter, fuller. It finally got to the point where I felt like I couldn't take it anymore, like I was going to burst. Amazingly, just at that point, members of the audience erupted into spontaneous cheers. It was like they were feeling what I was feeling. I hooted and hollered along with them. I think I have experienced that sort of spontaneous support before, but rarely. There are versions of Dear Lord on Youtube. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment