Thursday, June 17, 2010

the neighborhood

Rainy. Back in May on Green Up day, I went back to the bridge by the Clark farm to see if the pure white Bloodroot I had spotted there exactly a year ago had returned. It gladdened my heart to see that it had. The other day I noticed that the first Blue Flag Iris I ever saw was back in the tall grass along Cold River Road. The Deptford Pink, a vision in magenta, had also returned to its usual position just up the road, hiding behind a rock from the well meaning lawn mowers and weed whackers.
It seems sometimes like my neighborhood just keeps expanding. The wildflowers returned to their old haunts. The wood thrush calling from the woods behind the house. The crescent moon alongside Venus in the evening sky. Signposts and markers to a world that seems ever more familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment