Monday, November 29, 2010

the pulse of life


When we were driving back from Ohio, we saw a number of large flocks of geese heading south for the winter. It reminded me of a morning a few weeks ago when I was driving through Middlebury. The skies overhead were filled with geese. The sizes of the formations ranged from 2 to 102. They were heading in all directions at a number of different elevations. A feeling somewhere between awe and elation rose up as I tried to take in the scene.
At first it seemed like something you would see on the plains of Africa, but then it reminded me of our trip to Alaska a few years ago. It didn't take long to see that the pulse of life beats very strongly there during the summer season. The swirling of life all around me that morning in the Valley of Vermont evoked a very similar sensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment