Tuesday, March 22, 2011

here & gone


Deviant Brainwave on flickr

We went out to dinner on Friday night with the Blodgett's. We met them in the parking lot at the Price Chopper in West Rutland. While we were waiting, we faced the southeast, and watched the nearly full moon rise in the twilight. The sky had a purplish cast with some pink/red highlights from the setting sun. The moon was a light yellow. The pastel shades made me think of Easter.
When we came out after dinner, the sky was partly cloudy. The clouds were mostly dark, but streaked with bright silver on the sides from the light of the moon. I opened the curtains in the bedroom to be closer to the light of a beautiful night when retiring.
On Saturday night I went out to view the "Super" moon, supposedly about 14% larger than normal. I remembered that Jupiter and Mercury were supposed to be visible in the western sky. I was finally able to view Mercury through some tree branches from a distant maple, but I never did find Jupiter. I think it has finally faded away. Jupiter has been a constant companion for months now, probably close to a year. I remember seeing it in the southeast, and watching it slowly drift across the evening sky until its disappearance the other night. Eventually it will reappear in the morning, but those 4:00 viewings will be few and far between as evidenced by the infrequent sightings of Venus lately, also an early morning riser. I actually feel the loss of Jupiter. It's kind of like a child going away to college. It's nice to know that eventually Jupiter will reappear in the evening skies. I just don't know when.

No comments:

Post a Comment