Wednesday, March 21, 2012


March 21, 2007
AM thermometer went past zero, maybe for the last time this year. Snow mushy during the day, freezes at night. Little crystalline nuggets in the morning. John home from D.C. today. New moon with Venus above.

This is how this blog started five years ago today. For a number of reasons it seems like an appropriate moment to bring this chapter of my life to a close. This will be the final posting. It has been an amazing exercise in awareness. Thanks to Carol for her regular and unstinting support. I have learned a lot over the years. Zen Master Dogen was right. Such mountains and waters of themselves become wise persons and sages.

The capacity of mind is broad and huge, like the vast sky. Do not sit with a mind fixed on emptiness... Emptiness includes the sun, moon, stars and planets, the great earth, mountains and rivers, all trees and grasses, bad men and good men, bad things and good things, heaven and hell; they are all in the midst of emptiness. The emptiness of human nature is also like this.
Hui-Neng
Zen page a day calendar

3 comments:

  1. I'll miss waking up to your blog every morning. Are you prepared to write me a daily email instead? I've enjoyed the blog over the years Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to believe, that this is it for the blog. I know that that I wasn't a very frequent commenter, but I did appreciate very much hearing about the happenings in Ira and seeing pictures of my home. Thanks Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I can't believe Erin was up so early.

    ReplyDelete