Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Oregano and Plantnet

 There's a plant that grows in Allyn's garden that I have found more and more regularly when brush hogging in the fall.

At one point we both knew what it was, some kind of an herb. I looked through the usual suspects, sage, rosemary, thyme, and couldn't find it on Google. A couple of weeks ago, I got a text from one of the readers of this blog on how to use technology to identify plants. To make a long story short, I ended up connecting with an app called Plantnet. I used it to identify this plant as oregano. Thanks Denise! Turns out that oregano can, indeed, be an invasive species. I know it is here on the other side of the creek.

Plantnet will be another arrow in my quiver in terms of identifying local flora for this blog. How's that sound Shawn?!



No comments:

Post a Comment