Friday, August 14, 2020

The Perseids

 Apparently my son John and grandson Owen are my astronomical muses these days. They were the first ones to mention the comet a few weeks ago. Yesterday they mentioned that they had seen the Perseid meteor shower the other night. I had forgotten about it, and went out last night to take a look. It was past peak and I only saw one, but it was a doozy.

ibtimes

Being a day late and a dollar short notwithstanding, being outside on a starry night in August in Vermont is special. Fireflies and the sound of the crickets; shimmering stars and the Milky Way overhead. I remembered that this is usually the time for Stellafane in Springfield, Vermont. It's one of the oldest stargazing events in the country. It's been cancelled for this year, but I've been lucky enough to attend three or four times in the past.



No comments:

Post a Comment