Tuesday, March 9, 2021

The golden cane

 Yesterday I mentioned Alta Johnson, oldest living resident in Ira. A reader of this blog asked me how old she is. She is 92, but it got me to thinking. The reason I know that she is the oldest person in Ira is because the town has a tradition of bestowing the "Ira Golden Cane" to the oldest person in town and Alta received it just a little bit over a year ago. I happened to be there at the presentation because my wife is one of the movers and shakers in town, and I was there to take photos for the town newsletter.

This is a tradition that has been going on for a long time, no one knows exactly how long. It began with a local family and was adopted by the town elders at some point. There's something very heartwarming about this tradition.

 Vermont is a wonderful place to live. In my opinion it has two important characteristics that make it so. One is its great natural beauty and the other is the strong sense of community here. I'm sure that residents of East Wallingford, Shrewsbury, Weybridge, and Salisbury know exactly what I'm talking about. Life is not always easy out here in the sticks and neighbors tend to look out for each other.

A number of years ago, I woke up to the sound of a loud CRACK from somewhere in the yard. Went outside to find that a very large limb from an oak tree had broken off and was blocking the lane to our house. I got out my chain saw and began to cut it up. About 10 minutes after I started, I saw my neighbor from the other side of the creek (I know) heading my way. He was accompanied by his son, and he had his chain saw. He said he had heard the crack and figured I could use some help. About 10 minutes after he arrived it was deja vu all over again. Another neighbor appeared with his chain saw and his son for the very same reason. We all made short work of the aforementioned limb. I was a little stunned and very grateful. 

These good samaritans weren't friends. For the most part we all just minded our own business, live and let live. But when I needed them, however, they were there for me. I think it may be a dynamic that has died off in many parts of our country. It is good to remember these examples of compassion and caring during the long cold months of winter here on the other side of the creek.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment