Wednesday, September 28, 2011

shift

Jupiter & the Milky Way
from Alireza Teimory on flickr

Sunny & warm. I feel fortunate to have a hobby that allows me to actually enjoy the increasing darkness that occurs this time of year. Was out doing some star gazing with Pete the other night, Jupiter very prominent in the east. We both noticed that the summer sound of the crickets had diminished quite a bit, but not completely gone. Monday night I was out looking for the northern lights, and noticed that the milky way has changed from its summer position of running north to south in the sky to its east west position for fall. I've gotten to the point that I can conceptually understand many of the movements that take place in the heavens; the changing of the moon and the constellations. I can't wrap my head around this particular shift of the milky way. I'll have to ask Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment