Monday, March 26, 2018

make it


Temperatures in the 40's and 50's this week. Uh, that is actually warmer here. Daffodils starting to push up through the ground. The transition from winter to spring has started, but there is still some cold weather to get through. By my calculations, I have roughly a two week supply of wood left. That will have to do. I have seen trucks on the road hauling hay. Figuring that some farmers have been caught short on their hay supply, and had to buy some. Per usual, I was heading out early yesterday morning, and saw a deer out in a field near the creek. She was walking very gingerly and cautiously, her feet breaking through the crusty snow. As I headed out on the main road, I looked over to see if I could catch another look at her. She was under an old apple tree, head to the ground. Apparently she had found some apples.
There was something very uplifting about this. Apple trees grow like weeds on our place. They help feed the deer and other animals in the fall, and again in the spring. With winter receding, I've got to feel that any deer I see are going to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment