Wednesday, March 28, 2018

potholes


The roads in New England take a beating during the winter season. One of the first signs of spring is the frost heave signs that appear along roadways. Snowmelt runs under the roads during the day, and freezes at night causing bumps or "heaves" to appear in the roads. The ride from Ira to Rutland can often feel like the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyworld. There have been times when I have literally hurt my back when driving into work in the morning. Actually, the frost heaves don't seem too bad this year.
Frost heave season is followed by "mud season" when the ice in the roads melt, and turn dirt roads into a ribbon of mud. Many years ago a tire was literally pulled off our car when I was driving on the Crossroads near home. Grading on dirt roads has been significantly improved over the years, and the roads are much better than they used to be.
That brings us to the potholes. They have been particularly bad this year, and I don't know why. I was attempting to negotiate some deep potholes in Rutland the other day. I stopped in at an ATM, looked down, and noticed a crack in the windshield. I think it was caused by the potholes, and is a first for us. This too will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment