Thursday, March 8, 2018

spirit


Just got in from shoveling out the driveway. We got about 7 inches of snow, a little less than predicted. As I was shoveling, the snowplow backed in to Kahle Road. Usually he just drives in and turns around on our lawn, but often this time of year the lane resembles miso soup more than a road and he mentioned his concerns with tearing up our back yard and getting stuck which would be really bad for him. I told him that the lane had hardened up a lot from last week, and that I had moved the cars to make it easier for him. I told him I would call if and when the area in question got soupy again.

After I finished shoveling, I went out to get the paper. Pete was out there shoveling his driveway. We had a nice chat, and made plans to do some star gazing a week from Saturday.

There is a palpable sense of community that exists out here on the other side of the creek. We all contend with the challenges of living in a cold climate; snow, ice, difficult driving conditions, power outages, downed trees. At the same time that there is a strong sense of independence among residents, there is also the reality that we're all in this together, and neighbors help each other out. I remember a few years ago when a huge oak limb fell across Kahle Road. There's only one way out, and we were stuck. I got out my chainsaw, and started to cut it up. It wasn't long until my neighbor appeared with his chainsaw. He said he heard the limb come down, and my chainsaw fire up. He came over to help. It wasn't long after that that another neighbor came over with his son and his chainsaw. They also wanted to help. We made short work of the oak limb. The feeling of camaraderie and connection was strong.

I saw an article recently on the states with the highest number of incoming retirees. While Vermont wasn't number one, it was in the top 10 which on some level seems kind of ridiculous. But I understand it. People come to visit here and experience the natural beauty of the place, but often they feel something more. I think they often sense the authenticity and community spirit to be found in the people who live here. It's wonderful to be a part of something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment